Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My next venue

I recently was offered a job for a client to do a dinner party for 24 people. It is a cocktail party that they wanted to serve food with. Well I cannot help myself whenever I cook for clients so I try to create a menu that will help the food to shine. I tried to develop a menu that would pair well with their choice of cocktails as well. I do not drink a lot of martinis, flavored or not, but have a good idea and a great source in Mom. The martini expert.

Canapes

~Olive Oil Shortbread, Olive Jam, Nicoise Puree, Cherry, Saffron
~Butternut Squash, Apple & Vanilla Shooters
~Bread, Lucero Olive Oil, Balsamic Reduction
~Spiced Pumpkin Consommé, Roasted Medjool Dates


Brie Mousse
Candied Apples, Arugula Pudding, Apple-Fennel Compote,
Garlic Crostini, Red Beet Reduction, Micro Arugula
"French 75"

Chilean Sea Bass
Artichoke "Agnolotti al Plin", Barigoule Reduction, Basil Oil,
Parmesan Tuile, Pearl Onion, Lemon Essence
"Lemon Drop "

Roasted Poussin
Pomegranate Gastrique, Cippolini, Candied Carrots, Carrot Oil,
Caramelized Garlic, Pomegranate Pearls, Vanilla-Potato Essence
"Pomegranate Martini"

Intermezzo
Coconut Sorbet, Caramelized Banana, Pineapple Consommé
“Siberian Princess”

Lamb Sliders
Highland Farms Local Lamb, Caramelized Onions,
Goat Cheese, Roasted Garlic Aioli, Pommes Frites, Spicy Ketchup
"Cabernet Sauvignon"

Dessert Trio
Milk Chocolate Crème Brulée, Brioche Doughnuts & Salted Caramel, strawberry oil,
Dark Chocolate Sorbet & Port Poached Figs
"Port"


Mignardises

Chocolate Truffles, Blackberry Tobacco
These will be all small plates. The clients chose what they wanted and I think they did excellent. This is sure to be a fabulous event. I will keep the pictures posted after this Friday.
My biggest challenge with this event was finding a chef to assist me. Considering this is such a large event for myself to handle alone, I decided it a good idea to ask for some help. But where? To who? Ughh,,, I found a girl still in culinary school to assist with plating and prep and whatnot, but I need some good back up. Something I need to take care of if I keep getting gigs like this.
For this dinner I am introducing quite a few sous vide techinques, and a few other interesting ones. I am using Methocel F50 to create a vanilla or vadouvan flavored marshallow that will be dehydrated and become crispy and floated in the butternut squash soup shooter atop an apple brunoise.
Sous vide will be applied to baby artichokes, carrots, pearl onions, cippolini, all veggies basically. I will be able to cook them ahead at a very controlled temperature to achieve the perfect texture. Then I will glaze them to finish at service. I am also using my vac machine to infuse certain flavors, like marinated olives with garlic, citrus, coriander and herbs.
I am playing with dried ingredients as well, such as carrot and beet powder, marshmallows, cherries, and some others. This should be a lot of fun to get some new practice on techniques. Let you all know how it turns out! I am taking pics along the way......

1 comment:

Chef JP said...

I'd like to apply for the job but I'm swamped as is! Hope you pull it off as it looks great. Anticipating pics...